Cogmed – Attention Training and Working Memory Training
What is Working Memory?
- Starting to sweep the floor but then finding yourself washing the dishes.
- Repeatedly asking for directions on how to complete a task.
- Difficulty concentrating with music playing or background conversations.
- Having trouble learning and applying new skills.
- Making the same mistakes over and over.
Working Memory only has limited capacity and time for which you can hold information received from the senses. Training working memory and attention is important to be able to focus on and retain the relevant information needed for the situation. Without this ability you will often have difficulty:
- Focussing your attention
- Shutting out distractions
- Following directions
- Learning new skills
- Completing complex tasks
How do I improve Attention and Working Memory?
With specific and intensive working memory and attention training this can be improved. Cogmed provides this with online games and working memory exercises with coaching support. Different programs are available for children in preschool and school aged children as well as adults.
The program differs from other brain training due to:
- Based on evidence through Rigorous Scientific Research
- Producing Sustainable Changes
- Support of Qualified Coach
Rather than teaching strategies for coping with working memory deficits, Cogmed strengthens your ability and capacity with tasks required for this cognitive skill. Through intensive and specified exercises, improvements in working memory, attention and capacity to learn were sustained well after training.
How Long is the Program?
The Cogmed working memory and attention training program offers flexibility in when and how long you train for. Training will last for 5-10 weeks with weekly support from your coach. This period will depend on which of following flexible options you choose to train for:
- 25, 35 or 50-minutes per session, and
- 3, 4 or 5 Days per week.
What is involved training?
Once you decide that Cogmed is right for you or your child, you will be provided with password access to the training program and access to support from Brain Care’s accredited trainer, Rustam Yumash.
The standard program will then include:
- Initial Consultation with Rustam Yumash
- Start-up session to familiarise you with the program
- Begin training with selected length and frequency of training sessions.
- Weekly 30-minute coaching consultation
- Wrap-up Meeting
- Follow up consultation
- Access to the Cogmed Training Web to monitor progress.
Brain Care also offers online psychological assessment to help identify specific areas of concern of cognitive function. This can help to further personalise your training program and also explore other options that may be of benefit.
About Brain Care
In our experience no two brains are alike and so our approach is to ensure we fully understand each person and tailor our programs to suit their needs and assist in their journey to reach their goals; whatever they might be.
Riverside Professional Center
Suite 3 & 4, 82 Keith Compton Drive
Tweed heads, NSW, 2485
Pinnerger Suite 33, 3rd Floor HQ Building
8 Riverwalk Avenue (corner of Laver Drive)
Robina, QLD, 4226
Tel: (07) 5599 2220
Fax: (07) 5599 2221
Mon – Fri: 8:30 – 5:30pm
Sat – Sun: Closed
Appointments available after hours by request.